Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bean Slop Recipe - Yum Yum Can I have Sum....

I don't know about everyone else out there, but dinner time is the best and worst for me. At this point in the day my daughter is tucked in and I'm "off duty."  Another bonus....it's time to EAT!!!!  The downside, it's time to cook.  As I indicated before, I used to really enjoy cooking.  However these days cooking is a matter of function.  Most of what I'd like to be cooking and eating is certainly not on the diet plan.  Furthermore, by the time I start cooking its 7:30, so unless I want to be eating at 9 I need to find quick, efficient, and healthy meals to make.  I have thus developed a pool of super simple, yet satisfying meals.  The flagship recipe for this group is what I have not so artfully named "Bean Slop."  (At one point I dubbed this Bean Medley which sounds much nicer, but to me medley implies more than one type of bean and for this recipe its just one type...hence the renaming of Medley to Slop.  As well, I think Slop just sounds more like me!)  It falls within what I call "can cooking."  I know, I know...both the name and the genre sound gross, but you really can do a lot with canned foods.  Bean Slop is not only cheap, but quick and generally yields leftovers for lunch or a dinner another night of the week.  Most of the ingredients are things you keep in the house anyway.  Therefore if you catch yourself wandering from cabinet to cabinet wondering what to make for dinner, chances are you can make "Slop" in some form or another!! 


Despite it's oh so enticing name, I have convinced several people to try and have always had positive feedback.  I am sharing the recipe below for your enjoyment.  As promised, I have calculated Weight Watchers point values.  If for any reason you need a further breakdown of calculation let me know and I can do so.  I think a lot of people get scared off by Weight Watchers because the point system seems complicated, because it seems a bit cultish, or because you need a few tools.  I personally find it a very easy system to use, and after a while you have a sense of what foods values are what.  I will go into more detail in a soon to follow posting I'm sure (probably where I should have started this blog...but oh well).  For now, enjoy the "Slop!"


Bean Slop: 12 points*
Recipe from the kitchen of LER
Ingredients:
-Cooking Spray (like Pam)
-1/2 Tsp minced garlic (I keep a jar in my fridge for convenience)
-1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion (One Large)
-1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
-1 15 oz can whole kernel corn (drained)
-1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
-3/4 can tomato sauce (same 15 oz sized can)
-Salt to taste (roughly 1 Tsp)
-Pepper to taste (3 to 4 turns on a pepper mill)
-1/4 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
-2 oz diced Avocado (if you don't have a food scale its roughly 1/4 of an avocado)
-1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
-Rice (I like Jasmine but you can use whatever)


Spray a medium sized sauce pot with cooking spray (Pam) until coated.  Sautee garlic for roughly a minute over medium heat.  Add onion stirring to coat with cooking spray.  Cover pot and cook onions until soft stirring occasionally, roughly 5-7 minutes.  Add beans, corn, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Stir until mixed.  Cover and simmer over low to medium heat while rice cooks.  Serve over rice, top with avocado, and Parmesan cheese.
*12 points:
-1 cup rice:4 points
-2 cups slop: 4 points
-2 oz Avocado: 2 points
-1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese: 2 points


This is what Bean Slop looks like when your photographer sister prepares the meal for a photo shoot (She has already complained about my camera, the lack of natural light, and the on the fly approach to staging the scene.  For the next recipe she will be bringing in the heavy duty professional artillery and expertise so her artistic integrity is not compromised.)
This is what Bean Slop looks like when plated by a ravenous dieter likely to burn the top layer of skin off the tongue when ingesting rather than waiting for cooling to occur.
Either way Slop is Slop.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

A. said...

I've made something very similar (the avocado is a must!), and have also tried putting it over pupusas instead of rice. If you are looking for a change of pace, your local grocery store might have them, too (they would be in frozen international section or dairy section of your grocery store).
- Allison

LER said...

Agreed on the avocados...I have actually run to the store upon realizing I did not have one just to complete the meal...without them it's almost like eating salsa!! I will have to check out the freezer section on my next grocery run....according to my schedule that should be any day now!!!

Post a Comment