Thursday, April 8, 2010

Veggie Roll Up Anyone?

Did I mention I am a creature of habit?  I like routines and schedules.  Although for some odd reason my life's "routine" over the past few years is simply not to have one.  I am not sure how all that happened but I do strive to one day have things a little less chaotic.

Food is no exception to my habitual behavior.  That is part of the reason I like Weight Watchers.  It is very systematic, and I find a rhythm to each day.  At this point I more or less know how my day will shape up in terms of my points balance...that is for regular days.  As well, when I find a new food or recipe that I like I tend to make it A LOT.  For example, a year ago I had lunch with a friend.  While our kids played she whipped up a batch of Alessi Lenticchie Sicilian Lentil Soup.  Top with fresh ground pepper, a splash of GOOD olive oil like Frantoi, it's a bit on the expensive side but well worth it if only used for dipping and drizzling not cooking, and some Parm Cheese and you have a marvelous treat.  Before this meal I didn't even think I liked lentils.  They were just something those crazy vegetarians ate.  However, I was always taught to eat what is put in front of you and I'm so glad I did.  As you will recall from my post entitled "Grocery Store List....What you just HAVE to have" (http://20lbstogo.blogspot.com/2010/04/grocery-store-listwhat-you-just-have-to.html) this is a staple I keep when I need a quick and filling dinner.  The point of this whole story is that when I was first turned onto this delicious soup I ate it day after day after day.  Despite complains from my fiber laden colon I keep on eating it.  I eventually got tired of it and scaled back, but it was a good run of mindless dinner decisions.

I am writing today with another recipe that is currently on my"eat to death" list.  Luckily when I do this I never get so sick of a meal I stop eating it entirely.  It tends to run it's course and then work into a regular spot on my eating roster.  Two weeks ago I was on my own for dinner, none of the old stand by's were cutting it.  I had watched my sister put together a veggie wrap with a bunch of things I didn't like the night before.  So I went into the fridge and decided to experiment with my existing ingredients.  I give you my latest obsession:

Matchstick Veggie Roll-up: Total Point Value 8
*From the kitchen of LER

Ingredients:
-One large rectangular Lavash Wrap (I use Trader Joe's): 4 points/wrap
-Cooking Spray
-1 Tsp chopped garlic: 0 points
-3/4 of large Zucchini Shredded*: 0 points
-3/4 of large Yellow Summer Squash Shredded*: 0 points
-1 cup carrots (roughly two carrots) shredded*: 1 point (cooked carrots release sugar so have point value)
-1 tomato diced (I take seeds out of mine to reduce water produced when cooked): 0 points
-1/3 cup chopped spinach: 0 points
-2 Tbsn Alouette Light Cheese Spread Garlic & Herbs: 1 point
-1/4 cup Reduced Fat 2% Mozzarella Cheese Shredded: 2 points
-Salt and Pepper to taste
*I have a food processor that I use to "matchstick shred" all the veggies so they are the same consistency that of a slaw.  If you do not have a food processor you can achieve similar result on a cheese grater)

To Make:
1.  Pre-heat oven to 350
2.  Coat pan with cooking spray and sautee garlic about a minute.  Add shredded zucchini, squash, and carrots.  Stir thus coating with spray.  Cover and sautee about 3-5 minutes.  You just want them tender not mushy.
3.  Add spinach and recover until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.  When wilted stir into the slaw mixture.
4.  Add Alouette cheese and stir coating veggie mix.
5.  Add tomatoes.  Stir to mix into veggies.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Turn off heat and recover to let tomatoes warm in mixture.
6.  Cover Lavash with wet paper towel and microwave for 45 seconds.  This just softens so easier to roll.
7.  Place Lavash on cookie sheet.  In the middle place 1/2 of your mozzarella cheese.
8.  Plop a good portion of your veggie mix on top of the cheese.  I end up putting about 80% of the mix into the wrap.  I try to flatten to cover the mid section of the Lavash and keeping away from the edges.  You don't want to over-stuff and then be unable to roll the wrap.  The remaining mix I just plop on the plate and eat on the side.
9.  Place the remaining mozzarella cheese on top of the veggie mix.
10.  Roll up the Lavash.  I think everyone has their own technique.  I like mine to look like a burrito.  So I fold in the long sides and roll top down.  Make sure the seam of the wrap is face down on the cookie sheet.
11.  Pop in the oven and bake 2-3 minutes.  Then roll it over so seam is up and cook another 2-3 minutes.  You can try to cook on each side the same way.  This just helps seal the wrap and slightly crisp the Lavash.
12.  Plate it and cut in half.

Volia, a fabulously filling 8-point meal.  Per above it sounds WAY more complicated than it is!!
A close up to see the texture of the veggie mix.  Notice the slight browning of the Lavash from baking.

Obviously you can use whatever combination of veggies and cheeses you like.  My sister prefers goat cheese 2 point/1/4 cup) over mozzarella.  If I liked roasted red peppers that might make a nice touch.  If you want a more substantial meal you could add shredded chicken or perhaps ground lean turkey breast.  But this meal really is quite filling a la vegetarian!

I hope I have helped turn everyone onto a new meal that they will eat day after day after day...OK, maybe some of you are more normal than me.  Until next time (may miss a day or two with my trip) happy healthy eating!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Awesome recipe! I'll try it and let you know what I think. 3 pounds less!! Go me :-)

A. said...

Looks yummy! I'm a fan of the flatbread/lavash, but I always forget to buy it at the grocery store. Maybe this weekend I'll remember thanks to this post :-).

Post a Comment