Thursday, April 1, 2010

Grocery Store List...What you just HAVE to have.

I think there are a few key ingredients that every dieter, or healthy eater for that matter, should have in the house.  I'm not sure if anyone has read/used Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/).  I picked up this cookbook in one of many attempts to get my daughter to eat something other than a chicken finger, cream cheese, or a cookie.  Alas, aside from a few recipes, this book was yet another failed attempt.  I should stress a failed attempt for her because I love the cookbook and use lots of recipes from it.  Quite a few can be modified to make more low calorie.
Deceptively Delicious book
     image
The way Seinfeld has set up the cookbook sort of inspired this post.  In the beginning she provides a list of essential kitchen tools as well as some core ingredients to keep on hand to follow her recipes with greater efficiency.  For those of you who don't know, the basis of her recipes call for pureed veggies and fruits to be added ensuring your family gets the added nutrition without sacrificing taste.  At the time I bought this cookbook I was condo bound with limited freezer space and therefore never had room for 10,000 lbs of various vegetable puree.  However, I love the idea of having a working stock of food to dip into at any point.  I think the same thing applies to dieting.  I am ten times more apt to make a good healthy meal if it's easy to pull together at the end of the day.

Here's my list of "Must Haves":

1.  Non Fat Cooking Spray (Pam for example)
2.  Jar of Minced Garlic in Water (0 points)
3.  Various Reduced Calorie Cheeses: (I actually have most of these in my fridge because cheese lasts a while and I find I use in at least one meal a day)
     *American Cheese 2% Singles (1 point/slice)
     *Reduced Calorie Cheddar or Mexican Blend or Mozzarella (2 points/ 1/4 cup)
     *Shredded Parmesan Cheese (2 points/ 1/4 cup.  My favorite is the container you buy at Whole Foods but any will do)
     *Kraft Parmesan Cheese (1 point/ 2 tsp.  The tall green can....I don't eat traditional condiments...this is a post in itself.  So this serves as my condiment of choice!)
     *Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese (1 point/wedge)
     *Feta or Goat Crumbles (2 points/ 1/4 cup)
4.  2 or 3 of each canned goods (Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Whole Kernel Corn, Black Bean, a form of White Beans)
5.  Variety of fresh veggies & fruits (I almost always have on hand the following: Tomatoes, Zucchini, Broccoli, Leaks, Onions, Spinach, Carrots, Avocado, French String Beans, bag of frozen peas, Bananas and Berries)
6.  Alessi Lenticchie Sicilian Lentil Soup (I know this is random, but it's only 2 points/cup and I probably have this once a week when I just can't muster the strength to cook)
Soup Lentil 6Oz
7.  Starches:
     *Rice
     *Pasta (I think smaller pastas like Orzo go a little further in a meal)
     *Cous Cous (I have both regular but often use the Iisraeli Cous Cous)
8.  Several pre-packaged frozen meals and frozen desserts (Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice both post WW points on the box)
     *Lean Cuisine (For the most part these are my favorite and have the most variety)
     *Weight Watchers Smart Ones (I love their desserts)
     *Healthy Choice (They are good but I feel like you don't get as much food)
     *Kashi (Limited variety but some interesting combinations of ingredients)
     *Skinny Cow Desserts (the Mint Cone for 3 points is FAB)
9.  Breads: (I usually have either muffins OR Flats OR Bagels but not all three at once.  Excellent in lieu of a Bun or Regular sandwich bread)
     *100 Calorie English Muffins (most are 1 point/muffin)
     *Sandwich Flats (The Arnold Brand is 1 point/round.  The ones at Whole Foods are 3 points/round)
     *Thomas Bagel Flats (These are pretty similar to Flats and are 2 points/bagel)
     *Lavash Wraps (the ones at Trader Joe's are 4 points/wrap)
     *Trader Joe's Indian Naan (3 points/piece)
10.  Frozen Veggie Burgers (I am very brand specific on these two as they are in my opinion much better than others out there)
     *Gardenburger  Blackbean Chipolte Burger (1 point/burger)
     *Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burgers (2 points/burger)


11.  Chicken Sausage (I don't eat a ton of meat, but these are great to throw in pasta/cous cous stir fry.  Most are 3 to 4 points/link.  I have a fabulous dish that I will post next time I make using these guys)
     *My favorite is Trader Joe's Spinach/Roasted Garlic/Fontina (3 points/link...although almost a 4)
12.  Chicken Breast (I always have a few in the freezer to ensure I can make an easy dinner using meat if I so choose.  3 points/4.5 oz. skinless chix breast)
13.  Snacks: (Obviously this is highly personal so I've listed some of my "go to's."  I try to keep my snacks at 2 points)
     *100 Calorie Packs (most are 2 points/pack)
     *Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars (2 points/bar)
     *Luna Bars (these are mostly in the 3 to 4 points/bar range.  Also great for breakfast)
14.  Yogurt: (Great for breakfast or afternoon snack)
     *My favorite is the Chobani Greek Yogurt (0 or 2% kind are 3 points/container).  They really fill you up.
Pineapple 2% Greek YogurtHoney 0% Greek Yogurt

There may be a few things I'm forgetting but these are my basic items from which to build a variety of recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  This is not my entire grocery list, but what I try to keep in the house so I can supplement with items to make new recipes.  I know a few of you do not have access to some brands (Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for example) and have wondered about substitute brands.  I can't say with any authority what other brands point out at, but I do plan on perhaps doing some recon work next week at the grocery store.  I can just see it now, a family field trip to the grocery store.  I'll have to leave the little one at home because I don't think she'll be up for grocery store exploration.  I'll have my sister bring a notebook and i'll bring my point calculator and together maybe we'll pull some numbers.  Hopefully the grocery store police (My mother in law once got scolded at Whole Foods for taking a picture) won't throw me in grocery store detention.  If any of you reading are in need of a specific request let me know and I'll build a list.

Also, I'd love to hear what anyone else out there "has to have" in their pantries.  I've read a few suggestions and am compiling a list because it's always great to get some new ideas.  Honestly, sometimes I feel like a cafeteria worker making the same menus week after week!!

Good luck to all you out there that have weigh ins coming (I know there is one today!!!).  It absolutely feels great to get a few weeks under the belt and it's helping me to know there are lots of you out there working at your goals too!  Until tomorrow, happy healthy eating!!

2 comments:

susanne13 said...

our grocery lists are actually quite similar i have a lot of frozen veggies too - peas, corn, broccoli, and mixed veggies. and BEETS in the pantry, always, love them (gross, i know). plus corn tortillas and salsa! i make enchilada casserole at least once per week - layers of salsa, corn tortillas, peppers and onions, black beans (or pinto) and cheese. bake for about 15 minutes, yum.
plus alway have apples and bananas! oh, another recipe is cannelini beans sauted with onions and garlic in about a quarter of a cup of chicken stock, add diced tomatoes and spinach and mushrooms (and chicken if you want) all over couscous. i'm sure that was more information than you care to know!! e-mail me if you want any more recipes so i don't keep writing and annoy other readers!!

Unknown said...

I am ready for our trip to the store. I think we can bring a camera, but I did get thrown out of a Star Market back in college when I was doing a photography project on mass marketed food.

I know I have a few more good snacks and staples to add to the list...let me work on it and will get those to you soon.

meg

Post a Comment