Monday, April 12, 2010

A Rough Monday

I am sorry to have been MIA the past few days.  Travel will throw off a daily routine quite a lot.  I cannot promise much tonight due to coming home on a red eye from San Diego, a flight which produced no sleep.  So it is through tired bleary red eyes (oh what a pun) I am going to give the basics because it is after all, Monday.

After stumbling in from the airport I stripped down to test the scales.  Now you will all remember this was my weekend at a friend's wedding in San Diego, my first big food challenge since starting the diet endeavor.  I was hoping not to gain any weight, really hoping to at least stay the same, and really really hoping to lose even a tiny bit.  While I have been known to binge WAY more than I did this weekend I also could have made a few smarter choices with food.  However, after my weigh-in the scale average was 163.9...a loss of 1/10 of a pound.  I'm going to round up and call it 164.....so looks like I stayed the course and maintained my weight from last week.  I was so hoping I could have been some sort of super freak and still lost weight despite my eating.  But it is easy to see how you are able to slowly pack on the pounds slowly over time after a lot of connected days of random events linked to eating.  A birthday here, a party there, a wedding weekend, a holiday.  Soon the year becomes one long string of reasons to eat and then you're 20 lbs pudgier!  Sigh.

I tried to do the best I could to keep count over the weekend but it was hard.  I had to do a lot of estimating based on what I thought a portion size looked like.  The other thing about food that has been prepared is you are not always 100% sure what is in it!  I only had four drinks over the course of Thurs night - Sunday.  Not bad, but as I said before, I'm not a big drinker.  I normally can pack away a pizza myself (OK, I don't usually do that because I'd be so embarrassed if I actually did that), but on Friday I ate three average size pieced (although they had lots of yummy toppings).  I ate my fair share of avocado as they put those babies on just about everything out there....not that I mind as the avocado could be the perfect vegetable in moderation.  The food at the wedding was a fabulous combination of Thai, Moroccan, and a Risotto station.  You really could have eaten a lean meal but that would take all the fun out of it.  I did go back for a small second plate.  That should not have happened.  I had two small desserts.  Could have cut that out.  The following day was a walking tour of San Diego where we frequented two Mexican joints.  There is NO diet in Mexican.  But it was quite good.  I went into this weekend with the spirit of having a good time without going overboard.  It may take a bit longer to lose the weight but I also think the most important part of long term dieting (or meal retraining) is to be able to enjoy those moments and just get right back to your "everyday" eating routine when it's over.  I think most of us have a hard time getting back to the everyday which is where we get into trouble.

As much as I wanted to order Chinese or Thai tonight, I made my veggie roll up (yes, I'm still on that kick!!) and can report I am right back on track and hoping perhaps within the next two weeks I'll break into the 50's!!

I promise a more coherent post tomorrow after sleep has reinvigorated my brain.

1 comments:

Stacey said...

You should be thinking of it as glass half full - you maintained which is awesome! I used almost all my extra points on dinner at an Indian place on Saturday. I think the naan alone was 12 points. But it's naan! How could I not have multiple pieces?

Post a Comment