Friday, April 9, 2010

Torture at 36,000 Feet

airline food cartoons, airline food cartoon, airline food picture, airline food pictures, airline food image, airline food images, airline food illustration, airline food illustrations
I am writing my latest entry from 36,000 feet above the ground aboard a full flight bound for San Diego (Thursday night).  I still have a little more than two hours of travel time.  In addition to not being big on flying to begin with, this flight is more torturous than normal.  Since boarding the plane someone within close proximity to my seat has in their possession a burrito.  A wonderful ever so distinctive smelling burrito.  I’d venture to say it’s a chicken burrito.  I would have guessed the perpetrator would have happily munched on such a treasure at this point in the flight but no such luck.  The effervescent smell continues to waft through the crowded cabin.  I’m glad I don’t know the exact location of this contraband…given my current state of hunger I am liable to jump my fellow passenger and sink my teeth into the chewy flour casing before you could say “You’re bound for airport jail!”

I should back up to the source of my hunger.  It’s not just that the burrito smells oh so good, but I have not really had dinner.  I probably should have left more time to arrive at the airport to sit down at a restaurant and order something mildly healthy and filling.  But alas that was not to be the case.  Next I flew out of the terminal that has the worst food options in the entire airport.  It’s a small terminal and there are only a few choices once you are past security: Starbucks, Wolfgang Puck Express, Jonny Rockets, Dunkin Donuts, and a handful of kiosks selling fudge, candy, or snacks.  I wanted to make it through the travel day diet intact as I will no doubt be eating some unhealthy items over the next few days (which I am sort of looking forward to at the expense of the blasted scale!).  I wondered around from food station to food station looking indecisive at best.  I could have gone with a sandwich option but there were two reasons why this could not be: a. I have a certain abhorrence toward condiments (this is a ridiculous trait that will have to be saved as an entire post can be dedicated to this topic) and unfortunately all of the premade sandwiches at various vendors had some form of icky mustard, mayonnaise or remoulade contaminating the otherwise healthy ingredients.  b. I have mentioned my tendency toward OCD, in particular germs of the food poisoning vain, and eating a prepackaged sandwich makes me wonder “how long has it been sitting out….what types of grotty bacteria are multiplying within the porous surface of the bread?”  So as you can see, a prepackaged sandwich was simply not an option.

Pizza – no, that is on tap for the weekend.  Hamburgers, oh I wish.  I finally settled on a few items I could snack on during the course of the flight.  Fresh Fruit cup, Banana, and a Kashi Go Lean Crunch Bar (Chocolate Pretzel flavor).  I hadn't realize how much Kashi had expanded from the days of cardboard cereal.  I have to say I am going to give them a second chance and start sampling.  Check out how many yummy things the offer at http://www.kashi.com/
Hero

I boarded the flight with my sad little bag of healthy fare when bam I’m smacked with the odoriferous scents of Mexican delight.  I held off for an hour into the flight and then inhaled the fruit.  It’s not that it wasn’t good, but it was just fruit.  Another hour later, just after cabin service I devoured the Kashi Bar.  I will say it was damn good.  I plan to pick these up for breakfast on the go or afternoon snacks.  But again, some fruit and a Kashi bar are far from dinner.  I’m flying Jet Blue and they have yummy snacks and I did take a bag of the Doritos Munchies Mix, my regular choice when I fly this airline.  I have that bag sitting here on the edge of my computer as I write.  My neighbors have both long since eaten their cookie and Doritos snack bags.  It was a moment of weakness to put this item in my possession but I was afraid my lack of substance this meal may drive me to begin to gnaw the ever so sanitary tray table (of course I scoured it with those germ wipe things…YES I am that crazy lady on the airplane).  So here they sit calling out my name.  I still have my banana left.  I wish I knew how many points were in that Kashi Bar and fruit.  I am guessing 6, but I don’t know.  I wish I knew how many points were in that processed bag of cheesy goodness…..I’m guessing some ridiculous number like 5.  I may break down and eat it….I can’t be sure. 

Afterward:
1.  I did NOT each the Doritos Munchies pack.  They are not next to my hotel bed.
2.  I ate the banana and a 100 calorie snack pack and had my sister tally my points.  I ended up with a 14 point day...so there would have been plenty of room to eat those Munchies.  Grrrr.
3.  I had a Fruit Platter for breakfast....it wasn't nearly as good as the egg piles my co-diners scoffed down.  But it was drizzled with honey and yogurt so was good enough.  
4.  Sadly I have to report that the burrito smell plagued me the entire flight...either the cabin air was infected or the offender had an uneaten portion until the end.  I hope the return flight is less strenuous on my sad little stomach!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment