Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Gift from Across the Pond

I received my first blogging gift...from across the pond no less!!!  I spent an amazing year abroad some time ago and walked away with some amazing friends I know will be a part of my life forever.  Much to my delight when I opened my mailbox the other day I found the following:
This was the nicest and most thoughtful treat from one dieter to another!!  So thank you AH...you rock!!!

I'm pretty sure the Royal Mail service of Britain does not understand the meaning of "urgent" in relation to emergency snack food.  I recall my dear friend saying she had dropped a package in the mail back when I began this blog...good thing it was only until recently I fell off the wagon or I could have been in trouble.  And if anyone working for the Royal Mail is reading this....pass on to the appropriate supervisors that anything labeled "Urgent Emergency Snack Food" is no small matter!

The best part about this little package (aside from the moral support of my little pet project and my waistline) was seeing someone else's favorite low cal snack fixes...and even more interesting because they are from another country.  Included in the package were the following:


Caxton Pink 'n' Whites, Cadbury Dairy Milk Buttons, Jacob's Iced Gems, and Light Alpen Chocolate Fudge Bars.  My pal was even so kind as to include the UK Weight Watchers (at one point I believe she dubbed Weight Watchers as Chub Busters which I absolutely LOVE!) point values.  1/2 point for the P&W, 4 points for the buttons (Yikes...a lot for a snack but they are oh so good), 3 for the iced gems, and 1 for the Alpen.  I checked with my US point finder and it seemed these values translated equally in the US...so now I know if I get called away to England on a moment's notice that I can pack my trusty point finder and be able to tackle the British supermarkets in diet style!!

I recall lots of favorite British foods from my days past (most notably the Cadbury Crunchie candy bar,  Onken Biopot Wholegrain Peach Yogurt, Digestive Semi Sweet Biscuits, and well....BEER of course!).  As well, the humus over there is WAY better than the humus here....I swear it really is...I'm not crazy!  For the most part I wasn't terribly concerned with point values and calorie counting while abroad....just absorbing the local culture...most notably pub culture!  However, now that I am older, wiser, and sadly fatter, I can no longer consume foods without wondering "What's in that?"  And of course like a good citizen I just HAD to sample the arrangement of emergency snack food.  I should have stopped with a taste of each...that would have been actual sampling.  But no, I was so intrigued by the new items that I ate a pack of iced gems, a Pink and White cookie, and Alpen bar, and 1/2 of the individual button bag.  Whoops.  I think I dipped into some flex points with this afternoon's incident.  I found the gems quite good...the most interesting for me by far.

Anyway, the remainder of my foreign stash is tucked away in my pantry for those desperate occasions when I feel like mixing up the diet program with some cultural flare!

This afternoon's sampling also got me to thinking...what is everyone else out there (both foreign and domestic) eating for their favorite "go to" diet snack?  I'd love to hear any comments below - your favorite two standby snacks.  I'm always looking for new things to try, and hopefully upon further suggestions from you dear readers, I can control myself a bit better than I did today when trying new treats!!

Until next time, happy, healthy eating!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I try not to snack. No really, I rarely do. My husband isn't a big snacker and so I've lost some of my motivation. But if I didn't have to worry about weight I would point to Cheeze-Its. They are by far my biggest weakness. Right on the heals of that are Salt & Vinegar chips. Yum! OK, it's 8 AM and now I want both of them...time for breakfast!

susanne13 said...

Corn tortilla with cheese and salsa. Frozen spinach, corn and peas (cooked, of course). Peanut butter and celery. OK that's three but I love them all! Your snacks from abroad sound DELISH!

Post a Comment