Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A side or two with that meat

First of all I need to report that yesterday was a DISASTER.  Despite my efforts to curb my cravings, I failed.  I went for a bike ride to put some distance between myself and those blasted black and white cookies.  Alas, after returning from my grueling ride (it's been two years since I was on a bike) I popped another two cookies, some chips, my daughter's uneaten Goldfish Crackers, a bite or two of ice cream.  Like I said, it was NOT a good day.  The kind of day you don't even bother to point out but just say you'll get back on the diet tomorrow.  Since this is the first time I've had this sort of day since the diet began (this was much more regular behavior a few months back....minus the biking of course!) I'm going to cut myself some slack and know that a bad day will come now and again.  Hopefully that was it for a while!

Next I realized I have been remiss in providing new recipes.  As I have previously indicated my husband is a meat and side dish kind of guy.  When we cook a joint meal I try to make at least one side that I can eat to cut down on the number of dishes  we are using!  So, here are two that go with just about anything...chicken, ribs, pork, steak, or burgers.  I hope you enjoy these and they provide some new things for your dinner tables.

Broccoli Mash: 0-1 point
*From the kitchen of LER (my grandfather used to make this in full fat version)

Ingredients:
-1 bag of frozen broccoli (you can use florets, spears, or cuts) or a few crowns of fresh broccoli: 0 points
-2 TBSN to 1/4 cup Fat Free Half & Half: 1/4 cup is 1 point
-2 to 3 TBSN "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Spray: 0 points
-Salt and Pepper to taste: 0 points

1.  Steam broccoli until soft.
2.  Transfer to a food processor (if you do not have a processor you'll have to mash in a pot by hand but the processor gives it a nice consistency).  Puree until chopped (I like mine finely done but with some bits for texture).
3.  Add in desired amount of Half & Half and Butter Spray...amounts vary depending on your taste.  I use about 3 TBSN H&H and 2 TBSN Butter Spray
4.  Stir in Salt and Pepper to taste

It's nothing fancy but a nice alternative to ordinary steamed broccoli.  Plus you can eat a ton and you are virtually eating 0 points.















Israeli Cous Cous with Cranberries and Pepitas: 8 points (meant to serve 2)/serving
*From the kitchen of LER

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup Israeli Cous Cous (once cooked it yield a little more than a cup): 1/4 cup dry is 4 points
-1/4 cup dried cranberries: 2 points
-1 oz Pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds): 4 points
-1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese: 2 points
-Salt & Pepper to taste: 0 points

1.  Bring 1 cup of water to a boil (if you are making more cous cous the ratio is double water to amount cous cous).  Lightly salt water.  When boiling add cous cous and cook on low for about 5 minutes, letting some of the water boil off.  Then cover and keep on low until water absorbed and cous cous tender.  You may need to add a bit of water if the cous cous is sticking to pot.
2.  While cous cous is cooking coarsely chop the cranberries.
3.  When cous cous done add cranberries, pepitas, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and mix together.

This is a slightly higher point side dish.  You can lower the amount of the pepitas if you want to shave some points.  If you don't really care about points, a bit of olive oil gives a nice added flavor and smooth texture (1 tsp = 1 point).  If you are having less points with chicken and some steamed veggies, this is a nice hearty and filling side.















Last night I paired this with 3 oz of grilled pork tenderloin (3 points) and some steamed broccoli (0 points).  It was a perfect meat and two sides dinner!















Hope these liven up your dinner tables.  I know I'm always happy to find a new simple recipe to try.  Until tomorrow, happy and healthy eating!

3 comments:

DJW said...

Broccoli Mash....This was a side dish for my mother's day meal with Matthew and Lauren. So good....my youngest son said "what is the green stuff?" Lauren hesitated and then said broccoli - made no difference - both Patrick and I wanted to lick the bowl clean!!

A. said...

I love israeli couscous - thanks for sharing a new recipe with it for me to try out!

Maybe now that you've given in to the cravings, they'll go away. If not, sounds like it's time to start throwing some of the goodies out so you don't have the temptation in the house. Hard to do, but I know for me, if I know it's in the house, I WILL eat it.

Stacey said...

I had a terrible weekend myself mostly because I was bummed I only lost 1/2 a pound last week and was in my "la la la, I don't care" kind of mood. But I was better than I would have been if I wasn't on WW!

Post a Comment