Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A whole new world

As some of you know, there has been some lifestyle shake up of late in our household.  My husband recently left his job to start a business with his brother.  Right now they are working on launching several iPhone/iPad applications...if you ask me for a longer definition I'd have to say, "Um...not sure."  There is a more long term plan if they can get off the ground, so I'll have a better one liner down the road.  Suffice it to say, having my husband home full time is a MAJOR lifestyle change.  Furthermore his brother has been here working with him.  The house has shifted from girl power to male dominance (my sister has been away so it's me and the boys).  It's now more obvious then ever that men eat differently than women.  I am the lone dieter floundering in a sea of meats and rich sides.  I'd like to give you a sampling of the menus I've had to endure over the past two weeks.

Night one of male invasion began with Chicken Spaghetti (creamy casserole made with chicken, stewed tomatoes, cheese, cream based soups, etc....good old fashioned comfort food).  Other meals to follow were Steaks (I should have taken a picture because these were not tiny, but large Costco sized steaks), baked potato, butter drenched over cooked green beans and probably some other items.  Rib fest (Raspberry BBQ ribs, homemade mac and cheese, corn on the cob).  Teriyaki pork tenderloin.  Tonight we had Red Beans and Rice (made with many links of Andouille sausage).  Leftovers of these meals have been sprinkled intermittently throughout the week.

Today we ran out of meat which required a trip to Costco.  Already my husband and my differences are becoming more and more apparent and our tolerance for each other's respective eating styles is wearing thin.  We nearly had a meltdown in the meat aisle trying to menu plan on the fly for the next eight days.  My view...I've been a pretty good sport about eating (or working around his menus to maintain my diet as best as possible) and it's his turn to eat my meals.  Now, I know this will NEVER happen, but I feel that way none the less.  His suggestions: meatloaf, BBQ chicken, Lamb Chops, and a roasted chicken.  He felt that would tide us over and provide adequate leftovers.  Seriously??  I mean, how much meat can you eat in a week???  And you know all of these items will require unique sides or casseroles and veggies to compliment the animal parts.  I'm about ready to have a nervous breakdown not only with the extra meal preparation, but with the will power it's taking me to keep eating my own food.  Luckily I have never been a huge meat eater which is probably the only thing getting me through this phase.

Here is a snapshot of Rib Fest just to give you an example of meal time around here.

Even as I write the boys are discussing doing a crawfish boil (they found a local place that does them) for the weekend.  I may just have to move out.  I thought living together was going to be fun, but on second thought, I don't know if I can take the pressure of the new menu.  I'm waiting for the balance of power to shift in the coming weeks.  If not, I'm going to crack under the pressure or end up institutionalized in the process.

Hopefully you are all having happier and healthier eating experiences than I!

2 comments:

DJW said...

Only because I raised four boys - two of which are living with you can I soooo relate to this blog. Your father-in-law has laughed so hard that tears are running down his face. He sees "nothing" abnormal about these menus and actually felt a sense of pride that the male gene had been passed from one generation to the next. I, on the other hand, realize now why I weigh the same as when I gave birth to these red meat and potatoes gentlemen. Bless you.....

susanne13 said...

Oh wow, not being to have that mac n cheese would send me over the EDGE!!! Seriously, blesss you!!!

Post a Comment