Friday, May 28, 2010

The good and the bad of sizing down

muffin top cartoons, muffin top cartoon, muffin top picture, muffin top pictures, muffin top image, muffin top images, muffin top illustration, muffin top illustrations
A few days I posted about my closet fashion show.  I referenced a pair of white J Crew pants/capris that have been off limits for years.  Still having failed to bring up the basement laundry and running low on clean clothes, I figured it was time to wear my old pants and let them stretch out a bit.  After all, they've gone unused for so many years.  As I said before, they slide on relatively easily and are tight without being obscene.  The desire for stretching is more for personal comfort than look.

First I have to say, it's been a long time since I wore something that was more fitted.  There was a nice give in the fabric so that my thighs have some room.  However I underestimated a few items.  While I am thrilled to be in a size 8 (at least for these pants...and really I am none too hung up on size because one store's 8 is another's 12...honestly, they are just silly representative numbers) I am not sure my body is.  Some parts are working better than others.  When I'm standing all is relatively comfortable and well distributed.  However, upon sitting my thighs flatten like pancakes spreading through the extra room in my pant leg.  On a chair in these pants I look fatter than in my baggy version of these pants.  The other annoying part is that when you sit down all you stomach fat gets shoved up.  My current waistband doesn't have a lot of give, so there is only one place for that excess fat to go...up and out.  The dreaded muffin top.  Since these pants purchased in pre-baby years they are a bit more low rise.  Most of my current pants are a bit higher so when I sit I can pull the waist area up to hold in the pushed up fat (mind you I do NOT own mom jeans/mom pants, but these are a step above the teeny bopper low rise).

So here I sit on the one hand feeling proud to be in my "skinny" pants.  Yet on the other hand they make me feel more fat.  Even as I write I'm looking down at my body and I'm reminded of an ant.  My chest is the first part equivalent to the ant's head.  then it dents in.  Next my stomach pops out forming the ant's body.  The waistband of my pants cuts in again.  And then my legs bulge out at the thighs to complete me...as an ant.  I wonder if we women (And I'm sure there are those out there more well adjusted than I) will ever be content in the physical appearance department.

Anyway - that is my "new old" pants story of the day.  My husband is thrilled I'm shopping for clothes in my closet verses at actual stores.  He was blessed in the fact that I am really not a big shopper to begin with and have been less so since the chub days.  And while these pants are wearable, even outside the house, I have to recognize that I am still in-between sizes and that my body is never going to fit into clothes the way they did prior to maternity.  I am afraid my muffin top, while shrinking (we've gone from the kind you see at Costco to the mini muffin 12 pack size) will always be a part of my body.  On a positive note the muffin top makes a nice cushion for a child to sit on...like a ledge with a pillow and for mom's it's an excellent place to rest a coffee mug in the morning.

Before I sign off I wanted to say thanks to anyone who sent site suggestions or ideas.  Love to hear from more of you so feel free to comment or send me email (see blog entry http://20lbstogo.blogspot.com/2010/05/request-for-help.html).  Love the input and will only help me make this new site more user friendly!

Until tomorrow, happy and healthy eating to all.

1 comments:

HappyFatSkinnyGirl said...

This is so funny and true and me. I'm 6 ft tall and have lost significant weight but still have a protruding pot belly. And I meant POT BELLY. It's like everything else lost weight but my belly. And everything else continues to slim down except for this protrusion. Very awkward. Not sexy. And I know the fat that is left is that "oh no you didnt!" kind of fat. The fat that is obstinate and mean and wont leave.... Oh well. I'm not going to stop. Great blog btw. I have about 10lbs left to go and it's taken me about 6 months to lose and maintain 1lb loss. Go figure.

Post a Comment